PURPOSE OF THE COMMUNITY PRECINCTS
The Glenorchy Community Precincts operate as Special Committees of Council and are a primary part of an overall community participation process for the Glenorchy City Council.
The Glenorchy Community Precincts are a vehicle for community involvement, communication and community building.
The Precincts are one of a number of information dissemination and community involvement mechanisms that feed into Council decision making processes.
Community Precincts have the following specific functions:
- To contribute to strategic and infrastructure planning for both the local Precinct area and for the whole city. The provisions for statutory land use planning that is for development applications and enforcement are specified under state legislation. Therefore these are not matters considered through the Community Precinct Program. Community Precinct Committee members as individuals are encouraged to use the consultation processes available under the Land Use Planning and Approvals Act 1993.
- To identify and bring to the attention of Council or other agencies issues of concern or interest to local people.
- To establish project groups to undertake community projects in consultation with Council or other community groups.
- To have input into specific projects or works that affect their local area.
- To provide information to the local community on activities, developments or planned changes to infrastructure in the local area.
- To act as a sounding board for Council and other groups (e.g. business groups) to test the workability of proposals.
- To hold community events to bring local people and community groups together
- To provide input into Council’s capital works programs and strategic directions (along with other interest groups) through:
- participating in forums
- participating in working groups and/or
- preparing Precinct submissions
- To support the development of projects and initiatives that contribute to the achievement of the Glenorchy Community Plan and/or Tasmania Together benchmarks.
There are nine community precincts within the boundaries of Glenorchy City Council. If you wish to find out more about the Community Precincts either link to the information pages or make contact with Community Participation Staff on (03) 6216 6722 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
All residents and/or ratepayers of the City of Glenorchy are eligible to be included on any or all of the community precinct mail lists. To be included on a mailing list or to find out which is your closest precinct please contact the Community Participation Staff on (03) 6216 6722 or email email@example.com